November 20, 2023
As a general dentist at True Dental Care in Bloomfield NJ, I cannot stress enough the importance of regular dental checkups. Many people only visit the dentist when they have a problem, such as tooth pain or a broken tooth. However, routine checkups can help prevent these problems from occurring in the first place.
During a dental checkup, we will examine your teeth and gums for any signs of decay or disease. We may also take X-rays to get a more detailed look at your teeth and jawbone. If we detect any problems, we will discuss treatment options with you.
In addition to checking for dental issues, we will also clean your teeth during the appointment. This involves removing plaque and tartar buildup that can lead to cavities and gum disease.
There are many benefits to getting regular dental checkups:
1) Preventing Tooth Decay – checkups are an excellent way to detect minor problems early on before they become major issues that require extensive procedures like root canal therapy or extraction.
2) Improving Oral Health – Regular cleanings remove plaque and tartar build-up which can cause bad breath and gum disease.
3) Saving Money – Detecting oral health problems early on prevents more expensive treatments later on down the line (like filling cavities instead of needing root canal therapy).
4) Maintaining Overall Health – Poor oral health has been linked with systemic diseases like heart disease, stroke, diabetes mellitus type 2 among others – this is why taking care of your mouth should be an important part of maintaining overall health.
By visiting our office regularly for check-ups you’re taking an important step in maintaining good oral hygiene habits while safeguarding yourself against potential future issues that could lead to serious health problems.
The frequency of your dental check-ups will depend on your oral health needs. Most people should visit the dentist every six months for a routine cleaning and examination. However, some people may need to visit more frequently if they have a history of gum disease or other oral health issues.
If you’re unsure about how often you should be visiting us, feel free to ask during your next check-up or give us a call and we’ll help determine what’s best for you based on your individual needs.
While regular dental visits are important, maintaining good oral hygiene habits at home is just as crucial. Here are some tips for keeping your teeth in top condition:
1) Brush twice daily – Brushing twice daily with fluoride toothpaste is essential in preventing tooth decay by removing plaque build-up and bacteria that causes cavities.
2) Floss regularly – Flossing helps remove food particles between teeth where the brush can’t reach which can create plaque buildup over time leading to gum disease and bad breath issues if left untreated.
3) A healthy diet that’s low in sugar (or sugary drinks), as well as high in vitamins and minerals such as calcium found in dairy products like milk and cheese promotes good oral hygiene. This also reduces risk factors associated with developing cavities/decay over time due to prolonged exposure to acidic foods/drinks high in sugar content. Too much sugar has been shown to cause damage when consumed excessively without proper care afterwards, such as brushing/flossing after eating/drinking anything sugary. Carbohydrate-rich foods such as candy bars, chips, etc., have little to no nutritional value outside of providing empty calories which may lead to obesity and/or metabolic disorders.
4) Avoid Smoking – Tobacco products contain chemicals that can lead to staining on the surface of teeth making them appear yellow or brown over time, but also increase the risk of oral cancer and gum disease.
Visit True Dental Care, the leading Bloomfield NJ Dental Clinic, for exceptional family and pediatric dentistry. Regular checkups are key to preventing tooth decay and gum disease. Save money and maintain oral health with our expert team. Need a checkup or have dental concerns? Contact us today!
Reach out to our friendly team, and we’ll be happy to assist you!