December 17, 2023
As a general dentist at True Dental Care in Bloomfield NJ, I can’t stress enough the importance of good oral health. It’s not just about having a bright, white smile – it’s about preventing serious dental problems down the road.
There are several common teeth and gum problems that people experience. One of the most common is tooth decay. This occurs when bacteria in your mouth break down food particles and produce acid that eats away at your tooth enamel.
Another common problem is gum disease, which is caused by plaque buildup on your teeth. If left untreated, gum disease can lead to tooth loss.
Fortunately, there are several things you can do to prevent teeth and gum problems:
1) Brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste – This helps remove plaque from your teeth before it has a chance to harden into tartar.
2) Floss daily – Flossing helps remove plaque from between your teeth where your brush can’t reach.
3) Limit sugary foods and drinks – Bacteria love sugar! By limiting sugary foods and drinks, you’re reducing the amount of fuel available for bacteria to produce harmful acids that eat away at your enamel.
4) Visit the dentist regularly – Regular check-ups allow us to catch potential dental problems early on when they’re easier (and less expensive!) to treat.
5) Consider using an antimicrobial mouthwash – These mouthwashes help kill bacteria in your mouth that can cause bad breath, cavities, and gum disease.
That’s all for now! Remember, good oral hygiene habits go a long way towards preventing dental issues down the road. And if you’re due for a check-up or have any questions about how to keep your teeth and gums healthy, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with me at True Dental Care, your Bloomfield NJ Family Dentist!
Reach out to our friendly team, and we’ll be happy to assist you!